Commonly made with ground beef, fresh vegetables, a blend of cheeses and noodles, lasagna is an incredibly delicious dish. It originated in Italy and has since undergone several variations of sauces and mixtures. In Filipino kitchens, this dish is very special. There are many different types of lasagna, ranging from meat vegetarian. Because of this, the beauty of the dish is its versatility.
I once attended a get together where there had to be at least five different lasagna dishes. In light of this, it is safe to say lasagna is a good choice for any type of occasion. The great thing about this dish is, like many other Italian dishes, it is even great the next day.
Two complementary side dishes of lasagna are garlic bread and a nice garden salad. As with any Italian dish, a nice glass of red wine will never be frowned upon.
- Lasagna Pasta noodles
- 1/2 kilo ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion minced
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large can (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup all purposed flour
- 1 can (300 ml) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3- 4tbsp butter
Watch our cooking video:
- Boil water in a pot and cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Pan fry ground beef until light brown; drain excess oil. Pour in spaghetti sauce and stir.
- Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, stir and simmer until semi-cooked.
- Season with sugar, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Stir and simmer over low heat for an additional 15 – 20 minutes. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 15 – 20 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the white sauce, melt butter in a pan and add flour. Mix thoroughly until flour dissolves in butter. Pour in evaporated milk and continuously mix until well blended. Add mozzarella cheese and simmer until melted. Set aside and allow to cool down for a few minutes.
- In a baking dish, pour the meat sauce over the bottom of the pan. Arrange lasagna noodles on top. Spread the next layer of meat sauce. Cover with white sauce, sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat procedure for preferred layer. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on the top layer.
- Place aluminum foil over lasagna and place in a preheated oven of 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven until top is brown.
- Remove let cool and serve. Enjoy!
[/directions]Add to favorites