Puto with Cheese
Puto is a rice cake that is steeped in Filipino tradition. Everybody grew up with Puto. It is commonly round in shape, white, and soft. It is usually served as a breakfast or snack and is prepared for festive occasions such as Christmas and New Years. It can be made using a variety of toppings such as cheese, grated coconut, salted egg, and raisins. A famous variety of this dish is Puto Bumbong and Puto Pao. It looks remarkably appetizing especially when there are coconut flakes on the side.
This dessert also can be made using a variety of shapes and colors. If you want colorful puto, add food coloring to the batter. In this recipe, we use rice flour which gives a distinct and native aroma. It is also important to sift the ingredients, as this helps make the rice cakes soft, fluffy, and smooth in texture. You can use all purpose flour instead of rice flour if you wish, but we guarantee you the taste and texture will not be as good. If you stick to this recipe, there is one phrase you will use after tasting it: “It melts in your mouth”. This puto rice cake is a delightful combination when served with Dinuguan. Try it today and, by all means, let us know the outcome.
- 2 cups rice flour ,sifted
- 1 tbsp baking powder, sifted
- 1 cup granulated sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 fresh egg, beaten
- 1 cup water
- sliced cheese or salted egg for topping
- softened butter for brushing
Watch our cooking video:
- In a mixing bowl combine, the sifted rice flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour in beaten egg, evaporated milk, melted butter and water. Whisk until smooth batter. Prepare the steamer.
- Lightly brushed the molder with softened butter on all sides. Fill 3/4 of the preferred molder with batter.
- Place them into the steamer with a table cloth on the lead. Steam the mixture for at least 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, top them with sliced cheese. (If you will add salted egg put them in advance). Steam for 30 seconds or until cheese melts.
- Remove from steamer and allow to cool down for a minute.
- Remove from the molders and place on serving plate. Enjoy!