Tortang Talong (Eggplant Omelet)
Tortang talong is a Filipino omelet made with grilled eggplant and covered with scrambled eggs. There are three ways of preparing the eggplant before coating it with egg. It can be microwaved, boiled or grilled. In this recipe, we have grilled the eggplant as it makes the skin easiest to peel. The grilling also intensifies the flavor of the vegetable. As a variation for this dish, it can also be mixed with diced pork, ham, or hot dogs. The eggplant can alternatively be first diced and mixed with the scrambled eggs in the pan. This dish is often served at breakfast. It is perfect with fried rice and banana ketchup.
- 3 medium size eggplant
- 2 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil
Watch our cooking video:
- Grill eggplant on all sides until skin becomes tender. Allow to cool, peel the skin. Flatten gently using a fork.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs. Season with salt and pepper . Mix until well combined.
- Dip eggplant one by one in a batter mixture. Make sure the eggplant are fully covered with batter.
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan. Fry the dipped eggplant both sides until desired brownness. Pour more egg mixture on top and flip to the other side. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- When cooked serve with ketchup or other alternative dipping sauce. Enjoy!
[/directions]Add to favorites